Thursday, March 4, 2010

March Blues


Hello again, I didn't write as often I was expecting due to the time I'm spending on finding a job and other activities here in Switzerland. For those who are curious I used to live in Guatemala but I moved to Barcelona to make a Master's degree. Afterwards I came to Zurich to find a job in Branding were I will move permanently after I get my things from BCN, to concentrate my efforts in the job issue. It saddens me a little bit because I was starting to really like Barcelona, but I know I have more chances to find something here in Switzerland because of my Swiss citizenship than in Spain were the situation at the moment isn't looking very promising. But in the oder hand I'm kind of exited of what the future might bring in this new chapter, and starting a new life in this beautiful country.

Well let's go to more interesting subjects... I bought the Sade new album 'Soldier of Love' the day it was released to much anticipation and expectation. And here are my thoughts:

SADE
SOLDIER OF LOVE

Well... don't get me wrong but I was expecting something more, after 10 years of absence you would think she would return with a vengeance, but I feel like this is a record she would have put out two years after Lovers Rock. It is not, by any means, a bad record, on the contrary it is a very well produced one, the lyrics are classic Sade, the instrumentation is impeccable, Sade's voice is better than ever but... some how the record lacks soul.

The first track 'The Moon and the Sky' seems like a track taken from Lovers Rock, the beatbox paercussions, the bass and the guitar remind me of 'King of Sorrow'. That's not a bad thing, on the contrary, I love Lovers Rock and I played it to exhaustion, so to have a Lovers Rock part two wouldn't hurt anybody, but it should be as good or better than it. In this case is not as good. This a fine song and one of the better ones from the album. Four stars.

'Soldier of Love' is the best track of the album and a good choice for a single. It is also the most original song from the album. Huge drums, killer guitars, great chorus, powerful lyrics, excellent video... well an outstanding track and an instant classic. To this point everything was looking great! Five stars.

Track three, 'Morning Bird'. This is a very beautiful and delicate song. Nice piano. Kind of reminds me of 'Pearls' but better. Three Stars.

The next song is 'Babyfather' which sounds to R&B for my taste, some elements save it from falling completely in that category, like the muted guitar and Sade's Voice of course, it has some raggae elements too which gives the song a little rhythm. Two and a half stars.

'Long and Hard Road' doesn't knock me out of my sock either. A very average song, with nothing special for Sade's standards. Two Stars

Another slow and romantic one, this time with a country feel; 'Be That Easy'. By this point I was really loosing hope, not that it isn't good but nothing special either. Two and a half stars.

'Bring me Home' feels like a B side from Lovers Rock. Two and a half stars. Please give me something to lift me up... please!!!

Nop... 'In Another Time' is another slow song with very little to become memorable. Two and a half stars.

'Skin' on the other hand saved the day. A very smooth and stylish song that could have been a great song if it would have a little more of... something. It's kind of monotonous and repetitive. Three and a half stars.

And the last one, 'The Safest Place'... what can I say... another slow and sad song. Two and a half stars.

It seems that I didn't like this album very much... and it's kind of true. I wanted so desperately to love this album, but no matter how many times I listen to it I just don't enjoy it. I respect very much the work of Sade, Stuart Matthewman and Paul Denman, they are remarkably good musicians and producers, they have proven that over three decades of work. But this time, apart form two or three songs, they didn't create another classic piece of work. Every single album in it's time had something that made it different and ground breaking, it had it's own style and new elements were introduces with great success... until this one.

I hate to think there will be another 8 to 10 years wait to hear new songs from Sade. On the positive side I am glad she returned, there is no other band that comes close to the sophistication and style they have made their trademark for all this years. I hope I will be able to see her on tour.

Until the next review...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment